Few Cloud-based systems today can boast of a lineage that goes way back to the 1970s like Sage 300 can.
- What is Sage 300cloud and is it a true Cloud system?
- Do I know what I need from a Cloud ERP system?
- Is Sage 300cloud the Cloud software for me?
What Is Sage 300cloud?
Introduction to Sage 300cloud. Source: YouTube
The official description of Sage 300cloud on Sage Software's website goes like this:
Sage 300cloud is a desktop solution with cloud-connected features that provides small and medium businesses with a highly adaptable business management solution.
- Modern, customisable interface in HTML 5 web-based screens compatible with any browser
- Easy access through most mobile devices via web browser
- Global database search and customised inquiries
- Tighter integration with Sage CRM and other Sage Cloud-based products
- Integration with Microsoft Office 365
Is Sage 300cloud a True Cloud ERP System?
Desktop view sample of Sage 300cloud. Source: Sage
And Sage 300cloud, with its origins and long history as an on-premise solution, isn't one.
What Do You Need From A Cloud ERP Software?
So Sage 300cloud isn't a 'true Cloud ERP' system. Don't be too quick to decide it isn't for your business.
1. Budget Management
2. Ease of Access
4. Ease of Updates
Sage 300cloud As A Cloud-hosted ERP Software
It is misleading to call Sage 300cloud a (true) cloud system since in essence, it still requires physical hardware to run the system. Updates are not automatic; they have to be downloaded and installed. Also, only a fraction of the system is enabled in a cloud-based way - and it isn't the main transaction part of the system.
So what this means is that Sage 300cloud doesn't offer the full set of benefits that "true Cloud" solutions do.
- Scalability - system may not grow that easily in capacity and security etc. alongside your SME's growth
- Ease of Updates - upgrades aren't automatic and seamless, like in true Cloud systems.
- Budget Management - payment is on a subscription basis, as opposed to a one-time upfront larger cost. This may make it more manageable for SMEs with a tighter budget
- Ease of Access - can easily access via HTML 5 compliant, user-friendly browsers on desktop or mobile devices
... mobile access is especially important (to me) and should be simple and trouble free. My test account was running on a virtual machine (VM), which may have added an extra layer of complexity, but I was able to log in successfully and navigate on all three of my mobile testing devices (iPad, Android tablet, and Microsoft Windows 10 Surface 3) using the Chrome browser.
Should You Get Sage 300Cloud? Yes, If You Value Its Time-tested Features
A customer testimony for Sage 300. Source: Sage
- Robust, tried-and-tested functionalities over the years
- An ERP system that's accessible to end users out of office
- Simple customisation capabilites for web screens to enable user-friendly experiences